Hero Image


A First-Time Renters Guide to Renting


Congratulations on your decision to look for a home to rent. If this is the first property you have rented you maybe wondering exactly what you need to prepare before moving in. Below, we highlight some of the information and documentation you should receive and complete prior to moving in, which may vary slightly from state to state:


  • Information booklet: You should receive an information booklet on renting in your state. Your property manager can also give you any additional information you may need.
  • Tenancy agreement:A tenancy agreementneeds to be completed and signed before moving in, and will require references from you as well. A reference can come from a previous landlord or property manager, or an employer.
  • Entry condition report: An entry condition report must be completed before you move into a rental property. This report records any existing damage or problems with the property. Your landlord or property manager will complete this report and sign a copy which you will be given to complete the tenant section and to sign and return.
  • Bond lodgement form: You will need to sign a bond lodgement form which will be lodged within your state.
  • Proof of employment:You will need to prove you are currently employed and the amount you are regularly paid. Usually you will need to provide your last two or three payslips.
  • Identification: You will need to provide your passport or drivers licence as photo ID.
  • Proof of prior residence: A copy of a gas/electricity/phone bill or rates notice which is addressed to you.
  • Fees and costs: InAustralia,you will generally only be asked to pay a holding deposit, key deposits, a rental bond and rent in advance.


If you are a first-time renter, you may be concerned about proving your rental history. Don’t worry, the main things your landlord and property manager will be looking for are your ability to meet regular rental payments, take care of the property and meet the terms and conditions of the rental agreement.


For specific information relating to renting property in your state, visit australia.gov.au and click on your state or territory.